5.24.2012

Get after it!

After my brutal workout Monday, I took Tuesday off. Other than walking my dog a few times, I could barely even bring myself to move. I refused to let myself slide though. Wednesday, I did Jillian's Ripped in 30 Week 3 workout. Today I did the Week 2 workout. So I'm still on track this week. Let me walk you through what a Ripped in 30 workout looks like....

1. Warm-up (usually about 5 minutes, but even some of the warm-up moves are challenging!)
2. Circuits. There are 3 circuits with completely different moves. Each circuit follows the same pattern: 3 minutes of strength, 2 minutes of cardio, 1 minute abs. Within each section, you do 30 second bursts (i.e. strength would be 30 seconds of push-ups, 30 seconds of squat presses, and 30 seconds of side lunges with front raises; then repeat once).
3. Cool down- stretching.

This is why I love this DVD: The entire workout only takes about 30 minutes, but you get the whole package. I used to go to the gym and do strength training for about 45 minutes, plus cardio for 30 minutes. And never did I work as hard as I work during these Ripped in 30 routines. More effective in less time? Yes, please!

Another reason: I really love Jillian Michaels (if you can't tell by how I refer to her on a first name basis...). She's insane and tough, but she pushes me and helps me find that athlete that's disappeared lately. Not everyone wants that in their workout, so my advice is try out different DVDs/trainers/methods until you find one you like and that seems natural. I could never stay on track when I tried Jennifer Kries "The Method" workouts, because I couldn't do anything the way she did it and that made her annoying.
Seriously?

She was too flexible, too controlled, too calm. (If that sounds nice to you, check her out). I need someone pushing me and reminding me they can kick my ass!

As for the drinking more water goal, it's been going great. Other than having to pee all the time, I haven't run into any difficulties. I've heard that after a few days of drinking more water, your body adjusts to the new level so you don't have to get out of bed three times a night to go to the bathroom. I've also heard that not drinking enough water actually makes your body hold onto water weight because it's dehydrated and doesn't want to get rid of water. Interesting.

We haven't gone to the grocery store lately, so don't even ask what I've been eating... One step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment